Adopting a dynamic policy allowing the right team members to routinely work from home will boost your retention, recruitment, and work/life balance efforts, while slashing absenteeism and expenses. With 71% of commuters in San Luis Obispo County driving alone to work, the resulting traffic congestion and increases in greenhouse gas emissions underscore the importance of alternate work schedules.
Telework & Flex-Schedules Toolkit
Our friends at Commute.org recently published a comprehensive resource of lessons learned and strategies for implementing successful telework and flex-schedule programs. They have generously provided the document as a resource for other local governments and businesses interested in exploring telework and alternate work schedules. It includes:
- Discussion of flex-schedule options including alternate work weeks, flexible hours, and voluntary time off.
- A detailed overview of telework, addressing common misconceptions as well as organizational, environmental, and employee benefits.
- A step-by-step guide to launching a pilot program and provides resources for technology, training, and equipment.
- A series of case studies and sample materials.
Don’t have a telework policy at your workplace? You can start the conversation by using our example Memo to Management (PDF, MS Word) and adapting it to suit you. Please note that Rideshare/SLOCOG is not recommending that your company or agency take any specific action or adopt any specific policy or practice. Rather, employees should work with their company or agency to undertake independent analysis of teleworking issues and individual circumstances in connection with the adoption of a telework program.
“Tips for Telework” Pre-recorded webinars
Rideshare partnered with the County of Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County Association of Governments (SBCAG) Traffic Solutions, Ventura County Transportation Commission (VCTC), Transportation Agency for Monterey County and Kern Commute, to support area businesses through a series of four webinars designed to address common regional challenges during the Covid-19 pandemic. These webinars provided a valuable discussions on telework beyond Covid-19. You can watch them below!
- Webinar 1 – Remote Management: Getting the Most From Your Employees
- Webinar 2 – Telework Best Practices for the New Normal
- Webinar 3 – Incorporating Telework into your Business Strategy
- Webinar 4 – Real conversation with real Teleworkers and Employers
Also, check out these 12 Telework Tips from SLO County Employers for Effective Remote Work >>
Telework Cost Savings Calculators
- Employee Savings Calculator – Free
- Telework Savings Calculator – Lite Version for Private Sector and Government Agencies (You must login for access) – Free
- Pro Workplace Savings Calculator created by Global Workplace Analytics can be customized specifically for your workplace with over 100 variables and 600 calculations. – Fee Required