Fares vary by operator. Each operator offers a regular fare, discounted fare, and free fares for young children (up to age 5) or if under 42 inches tall for Paso Express. In addition, each agency honors the VIP Pass for seniors 80 years and older, regional discount cards for 65+ and persons with disabilities, day use passes, and multi-day passes.
- Discounted fares are for seniors 65 – 79 years old, students K – 12 (except Paso Express), disabled and Medicare card holders.
- VIP passes are for seniors 80 and older. Seniors receive this free pass by going to the RTA or Rideshare Office, filling out the 1 page application, and having their photo taken. This pass allows them free rides on all fixed route bus systems in San Luis Obispo County. Click here for a VIP Pass application.
- Senior discount cards are available for seniors between 65 and 79 and verify the discount rate on any given bus in San Luis Obispo County. Seniors would follow the same process as the VIP pass above.
- Cash Fares are accepted on all buses, but must be in exact change. One-way fares range from $1.25-$3.00, or $.50-$1.50 for discounted fares.
- Passes are available in multiple increments, from 1 day to 31 day passes. There are two passes that are accepted across all transit operators – The Regional 31-Day Pass (Available at pass outlets or online here) or Regional Day Pass (available on the bus with $5 exact change). RTA also has a Stored Value Card that deducts fares as you go without an expiration date.
- Other Promotions
- Youth Ride Free – June 15 through August 15 – Students K-12 simply present their student ID to the driver (when they’ve been issued one – for younger students this may not apply).
- Downtown Access Pass: If you work in downtown SLO you may be eligible for a free SLO Transit bus pass! For more information call (805) 781-7531